We’ve prepped you with our recent blog post on being prepared for the new install. Roof shingle types and colors have been selected and the permit has been pulled. Now that the big day has arrived we’ll highlight a few steps that got us here and go over todays roof install. Let’s begin by visiting the pre-roof installation process and the things that you may be asked to do to prep your home for a new roof. Once we’ve looked at pre-roofing protocol we’ll look at the things to expect while your roof is being installed.
If you’re still looking for the right type of shingle and the correct color for your roof the following video may be helpful.
Preparing for the day of your roof install
Please understand that this is a general overview of what to expect. If you’re looking for a roofer Colorado Springs has many to choose from. The roofing procedures from one company to another may be vastly different. Many of the items listed are essential for a good experience.As one of the premier roofers in Colorado Springs, Integrity Roofing and Painting, LLC has roofing protocols and procedures that were created for your benefit. Be sure to ask your roofer these questions before you sign the contract.
The day before your new roof
- If you have a lawn irrigation system, please turn off your water sprinkler, before the shingles are removed by the service providers. It’s much easier and safer if all of the roofer’s equipment stays dry.
- The removal of shingles and loading of shingles may disrupt any items that are hanging on your walls. Integrity Roofing and Painting, LLC advises homeowner’s to consider removing pictures, photos and paintings from the exterior walls. With all of the bumping and thumping overhead we don’t want any thumping on the inside of the house due to the roofing process.
- Make arrangements for any inside or outside pets to either stay inside on the day of the install or to give them a special day at the spa. With all of the noise pets can be traumatized during the roof replacement process, therefore I personally recommend that they spend a day at the spa. They’ll love you for it.
- Please prepare your children for the disruption that will result from the roof replacement. They should be informed of safety protocol and procedures that the roofing company has implemented. Advise the kids to not walk under ladders and to avoid entering and exiting your home during the roof removal process. Additionally, while the roof is being installed if any equipment were to dismount the roof, anyone below the fall line would be in jeopardy.
- Outside plants, patio furniture and appurtenant structures should be relocated or covered.
The day of your roof install
To be fully prepared the following information is paramount
- Please consider your infants or toddlers and you may find that you need to make some non-typical sleeping arrangements for them during the day of the install. That’s of course only needed if your kids have a mid-day sleeping schedule that must be kept.
- The re-roofing process is extremely loud.
- Don’t be surprised if the weather forecast includes rain. If the forecast includes snow the contractor may need to reschedule. Rain in the forecast is acceptable as long as the roofing crew is prepared. Be sure to ask questions if you’re concerned.
- Many homeowners become agitated with all of the noise and disruption of day to day lifestyle.
- Any planned business activities that are normally conducted at home will be impacted by all of the noise.
- Conference calls and regular phone dialogue will be impaired from all of the roofing noise that is taking place above your head.
- It doesn’t sound like a war zone, but it’s really distracting.
- Remind all of your family to be extremely careful entering and exiting your home. Roofers would prefer if you’re able to eliminate traffic. Your roofer’s contract will probably state that they are not liable for any accidents or injuries to anyone trafficking back and forth on your property. Minimize this traffic for it can result in an injury.
- It’s much easier to carry on conversations with any of the roofers on the ground as opposed to shouting to them while they are on the roof.
- Remember all vehicles are needed for this days activities from the garage.
- If you have a wood shake or wood shingle that is being removed, I would recommend covering items with plastic sheeting in the attic and in the garage.
- No one should be allowed to walk outside bare footed.
- If you have a swimming pool the sweeper needs to be turned off and the pool should be covered. Most roofers would plan on covering the pool and or an outside jacuzzi. This is extremely important to make sure they are covered; even if they are a considerable distance away from the roof, nails can still enter into the pool or hot tub.
Every roofer Colorado Springs has to offer doesn’t follow the same protocol. The following items are to be reasonably expected whether you’re in Colorado Spring or Denver, customer service should be priority. Integrity Roofing and Painting, LLC finds the following information needs to be understand by our clients.
- The supervisor, project manager, owner, manager or lead installer should notify you that they have arrived.
- This is the best time to ask any new questions that you might have and to voice any concerns. Please discuss the weather forecast and make sure that the installer has tarps and is able to protect the structure in the event of rain fall.
- The outside HVAC condenser may need to be covered to protect from falling debris.
- Any assistance that needs to be provided from the roofing crew by moving furniture or plants should occur at this time.
- The over head garage door may need to be protected. Roofing crews use various methods to ensure that the OHGD is not damaged while depositing roofing debris into a trailer or dumpster that is located next to the garage.
- Plants and flowers may need to be covered with netting. Plastic sheeting may burn plants and should be used sparingly or on cloudy days. Drop clothes may be used. Plywood or OSB can be used in a flower bed with properly arranging saw horses throughout the flower bed and laying the panels across the saw horses.
- Keeping the lawn picked up is important, but the roofers will more than likely emphasize getting your roof dried-in as quickly as possible. This does not mean that the roofers should disregard the necessity of a safe working environment, it’s only that drying in the structure is paramount. Ultimately don’t be surprised if you see roofing debris in the yard. If it happens to be a windy day than you can expect for shingle packages to be blown around and scattered across the yard and even the neighbors yard.
- Hammers, roofing hatchets and nail guns will be actively utilized on your roof install.
- The roofer should advise your neighbors that they may need to get in their yard, if permission is granted, to pick up debris.
- Gutters and downspouts are to be cleaned by the roofing contractor.
- A magnetic sweeper is to be used to remove nails from the lawn. The best design of these tool is when they are mounted on wheels that are able to be rolled over the lawn. A 24″ magnetized steel bar is rolled back and forth on your lawn to remove nails that have been displaced.
After the install
- The roof and gutters are to be cleaned of roofing debris.
- The yard is to be cleaned.
- No homeowner should expect every nail to be removed from the lawn, therefore you should expect to find a few roofing nails around the exterior of your property.
- Wear shoes outside of your home.
- Please make sure that your kids and their friends wear shoes.
- We recommend that you do a walk around with your roofing contractor.
- Pay your roofer.
- The roof inspector from the building department will inspect the roof. Sometimes this may not occur for several months. Be patient with the building inspectors, especially if your area has been impacted by a large hail storm.
Contact Integrity Roofing and Painting, LLC for a divine roofing experience. If you’re looking for the premier roofing company that is a Certified Master Roofing Company in Colorado Springs, CO contact Integrity Roofing and Painting, LLC. We make roof replacements easy!